MSM Sulfur Complex | Dr Mercola | 60 Capsules
It's one of the most abundant minerals in your body.
But researchers have concluded that its importance may be underestimated and its essential role in your overall health unappreciated.
Sulphur can provide you with a tremendous health advantage by how it can help boost your glutathione levels.
Your hair, skin, and nails consist of a tough protein composed in significant part of sulphur called keratin. And connective tissue and cartilage contain proteins with flexible sulphur bonds, giving the structures flexibility.
As you age, the flexible tissues in your body tend to lose their elasticity which can lead to sagging and wrinkling skin, as well as less flexible muscles and less comfortable joints.
In addition to bonding proteins, sulphur is also required for the proper structure and biological activity of enzymes. If you don't have sufficient amounts of sulphur in your body, these enzymes cannot function optimally.
Sulphur also plays other important roles as it:
- Helps detoxification – Sulphation is a major pathway for detoxification by your liver
- Supports your body's electron transport system – As part of iron/sulphur proteins in mitochondria (the energy factories of your cells creating ATP)
- Converts vitamin-B thiamine (B1) and biotin – Which are essential for converting carbohydrates into energy
- Helps promote normal insulin function – The insulin molecule consists of two amino acid chains connected to each other by sulphur bridges, without which insulin cannot perform its biological activity
- Synthesises important metabolic intermediates, such as the super-antioxidant glutathione
Of all the roles sulphur plays, one of the most important is how it can enhance your glutathione levels.
What is MSM and Where is it Found?
MSM is not a drug but an organic form of sulphur and a potent antioxidant made up of:
- 34% sulphur
- 34% oxygen
- 26% carbon and 6% hydrogen bonds
Trace amounts of MSM are found in foods and beverages such as those outlined in the following chart.
|FOOD / BEVERAGE||AMOUNT PPM|
|Milk (whole pasteurised)||3.3-8.2 ppm|
|Swiss chard||05-.18 ppm|
Raw milk and raw cheese made from pastured cows contain some of the highest amounts of natural MSM.
Dr. Mercola's MSM Sulphur Complex is like no other sulphur-based formula out there.
In every extraordinary capsule of MSM, you’ll find:
- OptiMSM® (Methylsulfonylmethane) – Is arguably the best MSM ingredient available . Due to the manufacturer’s 4-stage rigorous distillation process, consistency and purity were excellent.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) - Since this sulphur amino acid is considered the starting point for the production of glutathione in your body, it was deemed important to include to include in the formula. NAC works as an antioxidant and can also promote your body's healthy detoxification processes.
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid (from Sodium R-Alpha Lipoate) – Due to its capability to increase glutathione levels and to be readily absorbed when taken orally, alpha lipoic acid (ALA) was included in this formula. Not only is this R-alpha lipoic acid (R-ALA), the preferred form of lipoic acid, the R-ALA that has been chosen is superior in stabilisation and can provide up to 21 times more bioavailability.
- Organic Sulphur Vegetable Blend - Naturally-occurring organo-sulphur compounds can be found in certain vegetables. One such group of nutrients called isothiocyanates are derived from sulphur-containing compounds found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, and green cabbage. Allicin, another organo-sulphur compound, is the beneficial phytochemical found in garlic.
- Commitment to consistency and high quality – As with the other supplements Dr Mercola produces, MSM is no exception when it comes to commitment to providing high quality.
To complement a diet rich in sulphur along with safe sunlight exposure, Dr. Mercola recommends you consider MSM to help your body get the adequate amounts of sulphur it needs.
And with this formula, you have the potential of enhancing the production of super-antioxidant glutathione within your body.
Why Glutathione is Important to Your Overall Health
Free radicals are reactive particles that bounce around your cells, damaging everything they touch. They can become active (or reactive) due to stress, poor diet, environmental factors, and even as a result of metabolism. And they can accelerate ageing.
Glutathione has a unique role as it is present inside every one of your cells. In fact, it seems to have claimed 'master antioxidant' status by helping all the other antioxidants perform at peak levels.
However, glutathione is not absorbed very effectively. Plus, glutathione supplements can potentially interfere with your body's ability to produce glutathione naturally over time.
This is where sulphur can provide you with a tremendous health advantage by how it can help boost your glutathione levels.
After age 20, glutathione levels reportedly start decreasing at about 1% a year. Even more reason to make sure you have adequate amounts of sulphur in your body.
Adults, as a dietary supplement take two (2) capsules daily.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.