Ashwagandha, also known as Indian ginseng, Withania somnifera, or winter cherry, is a plant that’s been used as a rejuvenative and daily tonic for many centuries.
Because glutathione is a key antioxidant protector that helps guard against the damaging effects of reactive oxygen species (ROS), ashwagandha with its naturally occurring withanalide may help protect your brain cells.
Referred to as rayasana in the Ayurveda tradition – translated as “herb that rejuvenates” – it’s considered the number one, go-to herb in India’s traditional practice.
What is Ayurveda? Centred around herbs and spices, Ayurveda is an ancient holistic practice. It’s widely recognised as an authoritative source of knowledge and truth in natural health.
Ashwagandha has clearly withstood the test of time in this highly revered system.
A small evergreen perennial herb that grows to about two feet tall, ashwagandha’s light tan roots have been studied the most.
Here are just a few of the substances found in the roots:
- Alkaloids, including withanine, withananine, and beta-sisterol
- Steroidal lactones, including withanolides
- Phytosterols, including stigmasterol and beta-sitosterol
- Flavonoids, including saponins, sitoindosides and choline
- Coumarins, including scopoletin and aesculetin
- Essential oils, including ipuranol and withaniol
While ashwagandha’s alkaloids and withanolides are two of the most important bioactive constituents, Ayurvedic experts believe that the potential benefits of the roots come from a synergistic effect of all of the components.
Ashwagandha is a potent adaptogen
An adaptogen is a substance that helps restore or balance the normal functions of an organ or system. This is turn can help your body deal with internal and external stressors and support your normal immune system activity.
As an adaptogen, ashwagandha plays a balancing role in your body, and especially helps maintain harmony between your brain and hormone-producing organs.
Ashwagandha helps balance your brain-adrenal axis as well as your thyroid gland. You need proper balance in these areas to enjoy optimal adrenal and thyroid health, along with:
- A positive mood
- A healthy metabolism
- Abundant energy
- An optimally functioning and normal immune system
- Normal, healthy sexual energy
Adaptogens help your body and mind adapt to stress. When you can resist the harmful effects of stress, you help strengthen your body’s systems and support your nervous system and adrenal health.
And by regaining balance, you can benefit from both greater energy and endurance and calm and focus!
Researchers have discovered that ashwagandha increases an important antioxidant in your body called glutathione.
Glutathione is essential for healthy cell development and your body’s detoxification processes.
Known as the “master antioxidant”, glutathione is especially needed for cells and tissues that experience lots of wear and tear and come into constant contact with free radicals.
Your brain certainly meets that criteria!
As you age, glutathione levels in your brain and blood flow to the central part of your brain (your hippocampus) decline. These two conditions create a “perfect storm” for damage to your brain cells.
Made from the whole root powder, Organic Ashwagandha meets all these criteria for a top-tier product:
- Contains only 100% organic ingredients – Contains organic ashwagandha root
- Includes the entire ashwagandha root – Ayurvedic experts believe that the potential benefits come from a synergistic effect of all of its components
- Comes free from fillers, additives, and excipients – Avoids fillers and unnecessary additives and lubrication flow agents that are only used to make the capsules or tablets cheaper to produce
- Produced by an organic manufacturer steeped in traditional Ayurvedic practice in unison with high-quality organic and safe production processes, including...
- Using the whole herb for “whole food” benefits
- Selectively using only live organic herbs
- Promoting the use of organic fertile soil by avoiding the use of harsh conventional chemicals
- Other Ingredients include: Organic Rice Hull Concentrate, Capsule (Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose)
And it’s produced by an organic manufacturer who is knowledgeable of traditional Ayurvedic practice and who greatly values soil integrity!