What is MSM and Where is it Found?
MSM is not a drug but an organic form of sulphur and a potent antioxidant made up of:
- 34% sulphur
- 34% oxygen
- 26% carbon and 6% hydrogen bonds
Trace amounts of MSM are found in foods and beverages such as those outlined in the following chart.
|FOOD / BEVERAGE||AMOUNT PPM|
|Milk (whole pasteurised)||3.3-8.2 ppm|
|Swiss chard||05-.18 ppm|
Raw milk and raw cheese made from pastured cows contain some of the highest amounts of natural MSM.
Dr. Mercola's MSM Sulphur Complex is like no other sulphur-based formula out there.
In every extraordinary capsule of MSM, you’ll find:
- OptiMSM® (Methylsulfonylmethane) – Is arguably the best MSM ingredient available . Due to the manufacturer’s 4-stage rigorous distillation process, consistency and purity were excellent.
- Trimethylglycine (TMG) – Also known as betaine, it’s an active component of choline and plays an important role along with folate in methylation. TMG can also act as a molecule to help control the balance of water in your cells and support your cardiovascular health by donating a methyl group to reduce homocysteine into L-methionine.
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid (from Sodium R-Alpha Lipoate) – Due to its capability to increase glutathione levels and to be readily absorbed when taken orally, alpha lipoic acid (ALA) was included in this formula. Not only is this R-alpha lipoic acid (R-ALA), the preferred form of lipoic acid, the R-ALA that has been chosen is superior in stabilisation and can provide up to 21 times more bioavailability.
- Organic Sulphur Vegetable Blend - Naturally-occurring organo-sulphur compounds can be found in certain vegetables. One such group of nutrients called isothiocyanates are derived from sulphur-containing compounds found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, and green cabbage. Allicin, another organo-sulphur compound, is the beneficial phytochemical found in garlic.
- Commitment to consistency and high quality – As with the other supplements Dr Mercola produces, MSM is no exception when it comes to commitment to providing high quality.
To complement a diet rich in sulphur along with safe sunlight exposure, Dr. Mercola recommends you consider MSM to help your body get the adequate amounts of sulphur it needs.
And with this formula, you have the potential of enhancing the production of super-antioxidant glutathione within your body.
Why Glutathione is Important to Your Overall Health
Free radicals are reactive particles that bounce around your cells, damaging everything they touch. They can become active (or reactive) due to stress, poor diet, environmental factors, and even as a result of metabolism. And they can accelerate ageing.
Glutathione has a unique role as it is present inside every one of your cells. In fact, it seems to have claimed 'master antioxidant' status by helping all the other antioxidants perform at peak levels.
However, glutathione is not absorbed very effectively. Plus, glutathione supplements can potentially interfere with your body's ability to produce glutathione naturally over time.
This is where sulphur can provide you with a tremendous health advantage by how it can help boost your glutathione levels.
After age 20, glutathione levels reportedly start decreasing at about 1% a year. Even more reason to make sure you have adequate amounts of sulphur in your body.